Why should we use kidneys from HCV infected donors?
- Patients usually wait at least 3-5 years for a kidney transplant
- Dialysis decreases quality of life and patients on dialysis can experience worsening of their health
- Some patients die while waiting for a kidney transplant
- Hepatitis C can be cured with new medications
- Most kidneys from donors with hepatitis C work well
What are the benefits of the study?
- Have less time on dialysis before transplant
- Receive a kidney transplant faster
- Receive a kidney from a younger donor
- Can still receive a kidney from a donor who does not have hepatitis C if hepatitis C-negative kidney is available sooner
What are the risks of the study?
- Severe liver damage from hepatitis C may happen after the kidney transplant
- The medication to treat hepatitis C may not work as well in transplant patients